How to Organize
UFCW Local 1564 is experienced and committed to helping employees improve their working conditions so you and your family can have more time and money with your family. UFCW 1564 has the resources and experience to assist you and your co-workers benefit from Union representation. Below are the simple and easy steps:
- Call UFCW Local 1564 to set up a confidential meeting with yourself and/or with you co-workers.
- Employees will sign a confidential card to be provided to the National Labor Relations Board. The Federal Government requires employees to show they wish to be represented by a Union. This showing does not go to your Employer.
- After a majority of the employees sign cards/petition, UFCW Local 1564 files a petition with The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) or reaches out to your Employer to let them know that a majority of the Employees wish to form a union.
- If your Employer is not willing to recognize that a majority of the employees want to form a Union, then a secret ballot election is scheduled within 2-3 weeks. The NLRB holds an election to determine if the employees wish to form a Union.
- You win the secret ballot election. The employees begin deciding what they want to address or fix in their contract.
- Employees are nominated and elected by the workers to sit and serve on the Union’s negotiating committee.
- The employees negotiate a contract with the experience and qualified assistance of UFCW Local 1564.
- Upon reaching any agreement, employees must vote a second time by secret ballot to accept or reject the details of this contract.
- After a majority of the employees vote to accept this contract, now you have an enforceable contract, you fill out a member application, and pay your first union dues.
- Newly organized employees are not required to pay or meet any initiation fees or back dues.